Dear Membership,

Here is another email that appears to have not been copied to the
list either.

Dear Luke,

Thanks for your Info! I appreciate it!  I was saying a more general
statement, but your info reminded me of the article which I recall
reading and which was a part of my thinking.

What I'm saying ( if I can put it in the proper number of words )
Take any old dial or complex group of dials.  Attach a temporary
element that would be equivalent to a polar pointing gnomon at the
site where the dial was designed to work.  Point this temporary
element at the north pole.  Erect another temporary element parallel
to the first one ( or use the first one ) and rotate the whole
assembly around this element as an axis while it is kept pointing at
the north pole.  Keep doing this til the solar time reads correctly.
It is now oriented properly and fully compensated for longitude,
latitude, the equation of time, daylight saving time, etc.  ( Of
course it might be upside down and not recieve any light if
origonally designed in the other hemisphere ).  These temporary
elements could be say, 20 feet away from the actual dial, if attached
firmly to it.

I will leave the proof of this to the reader ... ( for now )

Edley.