Hi Dave,

I'm sorry to be so poor at explaining this.  If you enlarge the image
of the sun either with a nonplanar mirror, or a lens, and then
reflect only a very small portion of that image focused on a spot far
away, yes, you have a small spot as it is only a very small portion
of the sun's image, and yes, you still have the magnified angle
information as the spot moves very rapidly.  When I was a child I
took a magnifying makeup mirror, a pile of hexagonal 1.5 cm mirrored
tiles, a photographic tripod and  a blob of modeling clay out about
300 meters from our house ( before the landscaping was in ).  I hung
the makeup mirror around the tripod casting a magnified image of the
sun up about 2/3 meter to one of the small mirrored tiles.  I found a
couple of the tiles, being not really flat, would reflect a small
part of this magnified image as a spot on the corner of our house
which swept rapidly across the 15 meters or so of the surface when
held by the modeling clay at the top of the tripod.  By positioning
the assembly repeatedly, closer or farther away, I was able to have
the spot move across that distance within a few seconds of a minute.
( winning a bet from my dad. )

I understand this is not a full answer to the question of accuracy,
but it is a part of the answer, since angular movements of small
spots of light can be magnified.  It is a use of the principle of
optical levers, and there are more of them.  I mentioned the gnomon
and large sundial as another case of an optical lever.

Edley.