Dear Sundial Friends,
        The following mailing was sent out on the RETE list some weeks
back and received no positive replies.  I wonder if any sundiallers will
be able to answer the questions.

"I am trying to tie up details of Lefebvre who was an instrument maker
in Paris in the 1700s.  (A portable 'Butterfield' dial by him (was) in
the (last) Christie's sale.)  On his instruments he normally engraves
his name with a V, but I believe that it would today be a U making
Lefebure, which is simpler to pronounce.
What I really want to know is this.  Is he the same man as Lefèvre (Jean
or Étiene-Jean) who is mentioned in 'Scientific Instruments of the 17th
& 18th Century and their Makers' by Maurice Daumas?  I note that Daumas
makes no mention of Lefebure or Lefebvre."

        Best Wishes to you All for 2001.
        Regards,
        Mike Cowham.
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>