Dear Dialists,

Oooops! I goofed in a couple of places in my last message on this
subject!

In using a protractor, it would have to be placed on the level, flat
surface next to the mirror, rather than on top of it as I said.

The approaches so far mentioned, mine included, seem to assume a mid
latitude site.

On the equator you would have to have north and south windows and
mirrors where I guess you would have to mark the before equinox in
one color and after with another.  Another approach might be to have
the mirror, angled on a pole out from the window to reflect a
vertical dial ( a transposed polar dial as per Anselmo Perez
Serrada's last posting ) onto a translucent window covering.  Not a
ceiling dial, but still instructive for students, still markable with
maybe stick on stars.

> (Assuming penlights and protractors are simple enough technically.)
> With a laser pointer or a penlight, a fair sized protractor and a
> mirror couldn't you by placing the protractor in the meridian shadow plane
> while in contact with the mirror positioned where you want it, then shine
> the light in from the window along the angle of latitude first plus
> maximum positive declination then minus maximum negative declination and
> from the spots shown on ceiling and wall at least tell if the full length
> of the analemma of the noon hour would fall fully on the ceiling?  ( I
> couldn't find an easier way to say this ) Once done couldn't you then
> fasten down your mirror.

 Edley McKnight

 [43.126N 123.357W]