Hello Brooke,

I was surprised to see so many recent sundial patents on your page.  I
always figured that the sundial was had been around so long that it would be
hard or needless to patent one.  I can see a patent on something like Daniel
Wenger's very unique sundial, but some of the ones I saw listed did not
really seem unique enough to warrant/earn patent protection.  Perhaps I need
to look closer.

I am currently working on some fairly unique sundial concepts, but figured
that they were out of the realm of patenting, since they use time honored
technology and math that has been around for centuries.  They are however
unique from the standpoint of design/configuration/look.  I am a
professional product designer and I have come up with several unrelated
concepts that were patented by clients, and so I know a little about the
process and criteria.  But now I am wondering if I should worry about the
whole patent thing with regards to my new sundial concepts.

Usually I am of the mind that if someone wants to bad enough they will find
a way around most patents.  I used to work for a large corporation and they
had two librarians whose job it was to sift through all patent grants etc.
to see if they could find anything related to any of the companies product
lines.  They provided us in the design department with a periodic booklet of
these concepts and related drawings, so that they might inspire our own
ideas.  We had one designer who would use it as a kind of cheat sheet to
springboard from, manipulating and twisting just enough to get by legally.
While it is good to be aware of what has been done, I do not really take the
time to worry about patenting my ideas because there are so many
unimaginative sharks out there just like him, casting the net and seeing
what can be gleaned from other people's ideas.

Thanks for the posting about the patents.  I see that I have some research
to do, if nothing else, I guess that I better check to see if I am
inadvertently infringing on someone else's claim.

Jim Tallman
Sr. Designer
FX Studios
513.829.1888