I'd like to draw your attention to a star finder for sale on the
Internet auction house eBay. See
<http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1077995691>

I own one of these, though I have to confess I haven't looked after it
well and it is now missing some of the transparent overlays :-(

I find it interesting that aircrew were issued with astrolabes, for
that's what it is, during the Second World War. Strictly, perhaps, it
isn't an astrolabe in that it has no alidade and no scales on the
reverse, and the projection isn't stereographic. The instructions show
how you can identify stars if you select and set the overlay
corresponding to your Dead Reckoning (calculated/assumed) position. They
don't tell you how to improve on dead reckoning by observing the stars'
actual positions, but that must surely have been the intent.

Chris Lusby Taylor
51.3N, 1.4W