Steve Irick wrote:

> All:
>
> I view the Listowner as neutral and send this email as a balance for
> consideration to those who requested the change.  My mail is pretty evenly
> divided between individual and group, most of it is technical.  This mix
> benefits from the capability of my email programs ( I use several) that all
> have "reply, reply to all and address list".  I make a similarity to this
> dilemma by the standardization of the valve on the left being the hot water
> and the valve on the right being the cold water.  I would prefer that
> wherever I traveled that when I turned on the valve on the left that I
> would get hot water and not cold.

Take care, you could very easily get burned if travelling around
the world! :-)

I would say both work, as it works with cars in England where
they are
in the right side when they are on left side while elsewhere they
are in the right side when they are in the right side!

Now, my preferred mode is replying to the sender only, not to the
list.
This has several obvious advantage and only a very minor
disadvantage:

1) Most of the time we DO want do respond to the sender only. It
is true that
   sometimes people do not know it, but a good observation will
clearly show it.
   For instance, request for information (any information) should
almost always
   be responded to the sender only, not to list. Agressive
answers should be
   sent to the sender only; reprimands should be sent to the
sender only...

2) It avoids so many "sorry, I wanted to send to the sender only"

3) It forces us to DECIDE if our answers benefit the whole list
or not. And, if
   we decide, we have to take responsability for what we do (as
opposed to what
   happens when we do things "by accident")

4) We can very easily correct ourselves with no damages if we
intended to send to
   the whole list but sent to the sender only. The reverse is
disastrous.

Now, the only price we pay for having so many benefits (and
others I have not
listed) is to have to type "sundial" or any other nickname we
find fit so
our mailer can complete it for us with the full address.

Very small price, indeed.

- fernando

--
REDUZIR, REUSAR, RECICLAR -- Dever de todos, amor aos que virão
REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE -- Everybody's duty, love to those who are