Hi

Some of the members of this list will remember that two years ago
I mentioned I was going to the Sahara Desert. I was to run the
Marathon
des Sables, a 236-km race in the Morocco.

Well, I think I never came back to it. I wrote an article about
the
race. But it has never been translated into English. Those who
can read
in Portuguese or perhaps just want to browse a few pictures can
see it at
http://sites3.winbr.com/gaia/fcabral/esportes/corrida/maratona_areias/maratona_areias.html

One thing I must say is that after spending those two weeks in
the desert I
came to understand why we had some so brilliant astronomers in
the Arab world.
I spent one night sleeping in the sand without even a Berber tent
to protect me.
In spite of the cold -- boy, it was cold! -- I couldn't resist
staring the sky
for a long, long time. It was so beautiful! So many stars shining
against that
clear sky... even thou I had trekked for about 65 km through the
tough "dunettes"
(and that was already the third day) carrying a heavy knapsack, I
couldn't sleep
at once (as I used to do) because I wanted to take in and breath
and dive into
that glorious and rare moment.

The Beduins of old had an open university available for free: the
starry and clear
skies.

Now I am returning. I want to run that race again. Mostly, I want
to see the
desert again. And I want to drink from its mysteries as I want to
drink from
the pristine waters of life.

This time I'll do it a little different. After the race, instead
of coming back
to Brazil I'll visit the North Pole. From Morocco to Moscow,
Siberia and... North
Pole. I expect to be there from the 21st to the 28th of April.

Maybe I'll take with me a especially made sundial (aha, you
though this had nothing
to do with sundials?). Any suggestions?

- fernando

--
REDUZIR, REUSAR, RECICLAR -- Dever de todos, amor aos que virão
REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE -- Everybody's duty, love to those who are