Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2002 2:21 AM
Subject: Slopes and inclinations

Hi everyone,

   Now that you're talking about drainage inclinations, I'd like to pose a lexical question:

                    Which is the difference between 'inclination' and 'slope'?

As far as I can see, I gather that in English both are interchangeable terms that denote
so the angle between some plane with the vertical line as also the angle made with the
(horizontal) ground. You can only notice the difference through the context.

In Spanish (and I suppose in other Latin languages) there is a difference, not always
observed, between 'inclinacion' (=inclination?) and 'pendiente' (=slope?): the first one
is the angle between the plane and the vertical line and the second one is its
complementary. That's why we talk about 'La torre inclinada de Pisa' (the leaning tower
of Pisa) but not 'La torre pendiente de Pisa'.

I am telling that because sometimes English documents are confusing and maybe it
could be useful to establish that difference in the standard technical gnomonic lingo:

* Slope: Angle between a plane's maximum slope line and its horizontal projection.
* Inclination: Angle between a plane's maximum slope line and a vertical line intersecting it.

(Obviously, both are terms are linked by Slope = 90 deg - Inclination)

I haven't found any reference to this in my English dictionaries, so maybe my proposal is
a gramatical aberration: that's why I am making this question!

Cheers,

Anselmo