Hi Gang

I realize I am a bit late with this but here goes.
Mr Schilke hints darkly that it is we insular islanders who are 'sinister'.
I believe the answer lies in our distant past.
In olden days the English gentlemen would carry swords partly for their
personal protection and also because it was the style of the times.  This
sword was a manly thing nearly three feet long -------not like the sneaky
continental dagger--------- worn at the waist and so that it came quickly to
hand, usually on the left hand side of the wearer.  When our fine English
gentlemen were riding horses of course these swords protruded out to the
left of the rider and if two of these gentlemen met in a narrow lane there
would be a clash of swords possibly leading to bad feeling, name calling or
in extreme cases loss of blood. To avoid this the nobility took to riding
their horses on the left of the lanes  so that the worst that could happen
was that a peasant walking in the mud would be hit on the back of the head
with the   'gentleman's' scabbard. With the introduction of the motor car
of course it was the Landed Gentry who first had them and they just
continued this practise to the present day and countries  where we "had an
interest" were made to drive on that side also.
Of course the explanation above begets the question.  Why do the others
drive on the right?????????????
Regards,
John
53.2n