>  Polaris, the North Star, is often suggested for sundial alignment. This
>  fairly bright star is pretty close to north, perhaps a half a degree off
the
>  polar axis, generally available in the northern hemisphere and easy to find
>  in the sky.

>  I hope this is useful for any of you interested in polar alignment of
>  sundials. Personally I prefer to use solar noon and a shadow stick.
>
>  Roger Bailey
>  Walking Shadow Designs
>  N 51  W 115

Obtaining accurate polar alignment is a challenge.  Even despite the best
efforts, there is bound to be some error, no matter which method is used.  I
have written a program that can determine from 3 sundial readings exactly how
much error there is in your polar alignment, and then tells you how to
correct it.  You can then repeat your measurements until your dial is aligned
as well as possible.  This method is the subject of an article in the
upcomming June NASS compendium.  The program (SundialAlign!) is available
free at www.precisionsundials.com.  Unfortunately, this method does not work
well near the equinoxes, so you would have to wait until around May 1st to
try it on your sundial.

Bill Gottesman