Hi Richard:

It may not be that simple.

On an astronomical telescope you can align the finder scope to the main scope by
looking at the same star and using a cross hair eyepiece (which can be checked
by
rotation).  Fixing a finder scope to a mechanical sundial may present an
alignment
problem.  You might get around this by using an alignment telescope whose
optical
axis is coincident with it's mechanical axis.

I have considered using a surveying transit to sight Polaris at culmination and
transferring the N-S line to stakes on the ground.  This N-S line could then be
transferred to the center of the dial.

Have Fun,

Brooke