Hi diallists, hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for your explanation. I was writing something like that for the list, but
you've done it much better than I would.

Let me add a small thing: Where does all this come from?

As I told before, in an equatorial plane the circumpolar 'parabola'  is now a circle and
the ita-bab lines are tangent to it and perpendicular to the corresponding true solar time
lines (I to I, II to II, etc). Why? Because if we stand in this equatorial plane, the Sun
spins around us and the circumpolar circle is just above us, with the ita-bab circles tangent
to it. Then if you make a gnomonical projection you get an arrangement of circles and straight
lines. Now we can make the conical gnomon being its basis an equatorial circle tangent to the
ground. It is very easy to see that the ita-bab lines intersect the ground at a distance
Radius*tan(HourAngle/2) from the contact point, and so we can determine the ita-bab hours
from the shadow of the cone over an horizontal sundial, as you (Chris) said.

Here in Spain we call this elegant dial Bores' Dial, because it was first reported by J. Moreno
Bores, but I don't know if there are precedents elsewhere like, for instance, the 'umbrella dial'
described by Chris. By the way, with this umbrella you can also make a nice bifilar sundial.

A similar idea can be used to determine the (straight) lines of sidereal time. Now the circles
of equal sidereal time are tangent to the tropical minor circles (Cancer and Capricornius) and so their
projections are evolutes of the solsticial hyperbolae. Once again, have a look at them in ZW2000.

And finally, we could have deduced many of these results in a very crisp and elegant way using
the theory of central projection sundials as shown by Bruno Ernst in a delicious article you
can find in (guess it!) De Zonnewijzerkring. It's one of the best articles in gnomonics I have EVER seen.

Greetings to all,

Anselmo Perez Serrada