Dear subscribers of the sundial mailing list,

some time ago I changed the 'Reply-To'-field in the header of the e-mails reflected by the majordomo mailing list software to the address [EMAIL PROTECTED] For more than five years the 'Reply-To'-field was set to the address of the sender. Over the past years several people from the list asked me to change this field to the address [EMAIL PROTECTED] This change initiated several long threads about advantages and disadvantages of this feature. I proposed to ask for a democratic decision some weeks later when everyone on the list had the possibility to get used to this.

"Old style" Reply-To: <address of sender>

Pros:
- private answers will not accidentally go to all subscribers
- no need to manually remove the address sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de from the list of addressees if an answer is intended for one or few persons only

Cons:
- an unknown number of interesting answers and contributions will only go to the one who sent the question
- to include the list community one has to manually add sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de to the addressees

"Current style" Reply-To: sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de

Pros:
- the subscribers might not be excluded from interesting answers and contributions
- there is no need to manually add sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de to the addressees

Cons:
- accidentally mails intended for one person only will be read by the hundreds of subscribers
- no automatic responses will be sent to the subscribers

The intention of this mail is not to initiate another long discussion thread. If possible from your point of view, please just vote! It's up to you to evaluate the pros and cons of the contrary styles.

You have one vote! Please send it until Saturday, 27th of April 2002 (12:00 pm CEDT).

Please switch back to the old style!
Please keep the current style!
Abstention from voting

If your mailing program doesn't format HTML:

Please switch back to the old style: Send an e-mail with the subject 'old' to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please keep the current style: Send an e-mail with the subject 'current' to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Abstention: Send an e-mail with the subject 'abstention' to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you for the thousands of contributions to this list I founded in 1996 - I'm impressed by all the knowledge and expertise that you have in gnomonics and other fields and that you share it on "my" and our list!

Best regards -

- Daniel Roth, sundial mailing list
N 51 E 7