-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of John Carmichael
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 10:22 PM
To: sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de
Subject: Re: An easy question

Hi Dave

Your question could be interpreted in two ways.  Roger answered your
question assuming that you wanted to know how the sun would move if the
alidade was kept stationary with its time pointer over 12 noon.  But if you
rotate the alidade at any time of the day so that the point of light is on
the proper date on the analemma, it will tell the time (I hope you made your
alidade moveable so that it can be rotated by hand about the polar axis.)
Mayall has a whole chapter dedicated to this type of interactive
heliochronometer.

John

John L. Carmichael Jr.
Sundial Sculptures