Hello Warren,

Read the book Cadrans Solaires de Paris by Andrée Gotteland and Georges
Camus, 1993.
ISBN 2-271-05035-9
You will find some more then100 dials described.
It is an excellent guide for dials in Paris,

It's hard to say what will be the best dials to visit, but have a look at
Hôtel des Invalides where you may find seven wall dials at one place.

Don't miss the dial by Salvador Dali, 27 rue Saint-Jacques.
It is a rather simple dial but to my opinion of a great beauty.

I don't think gnome has any relation to gnomon.
In our language we talk about a gnoom.

Have a good time in France.

Fer.

Fer J. de Vries