Krzysztof Kotynia wrote:

> > the movie.  Does anyone know if the word is related to the word gnomon? ....

Maybe it is.   I have just been to my reference library to consult my
countryman Eric Partridge on this matter. In his "Origins: a Short
Etymological Dictionary of the English Language" [1966 edition] his
first entry for the word "gnome" is the 16th century Latin reference by
Paracelsus (a German-speaking scholar born in Switzerland) and explains
that his "gnomus" is perhaps from the Greek "gnome" meaning intelligent
and adds that gnomes were reputedly intelligent.

He continues. "The syllable "gnom-" occurs also in Greek "gnomon", a
knower, hence a SUNDIAL's index (knower of time) and carpenter's square.

Altogether he gives 8 uses of "gnome" and I have reproduced the relevant
two, although all the others include the meaning "know".

Hope this helps. Sounds convincing to me. (I have always thought of
gnomes as first wily/wise. The diminutive size of a gnome is shared with
a "dwarf" but a "gnome" is also "knowing".)

Maria Brandl
Mallacoota
Australia