On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, John Carmichael wrote:

> This is embarrassing, but I've just repeated the pinhole experiment with the
> setting sun which is about 15 degrees high and I must conclude that the
> results of my earlier test that I did at noon were flawed. At noon I had
> tried to hold the pinhole and projection screen at odd angles to simulate a
> setting sun while holding the whole thing in the penumbra (Not to easy a
> thing to do).  I must have held them wrong and drawn the wrong conclusion.
> Besides, Mac is one of those sundial people who I most respect and I just
> couldn't believe he could make a mistake. The solution to convert an
> elliptical image into a circle by holding the pinhole parallel to the ground
> does not work.
>
> This time, an hour before sunset, my projection screen was horizontal and I
> held my 2mm pinhole 1 meter away. I used full sunlight, no penumbra. Holding
> it perpendicular to the sun produced an ellipse, and tilting it slowly so
> that it is parallel to the ground causes a dimming of the image, but the
> images remains the same shape and does not become a circle.
>
> Maybe for these low sun markings, I could devise some sort of tilted little
> screen that is positioned above the timeline that will be perpendicular to
> the sun rays so that it would have a circular image. I'll have to think
> about that.
>
> John

A tilted card *above* the mark probably won't work, as I'm sure you've
decided by now. You could use a tilted card, whose edge is in contact with
the ground. Move it until the image of the Sun and shadow edge are split
over the grounded edge, 50% on the card, 50% (elongated) on the pavement.
At least you get the good imaging surface, and can tilt it to normal to
the Sun/shadow line.

Does that make sense, without a drawing?

Dave
37.29N
121.97W