Mac Oglesby wrote:

> Now and then I run across the phrase "High Noon." Can someone please
> tell me what that means? I didn't find it in John Davis' excellent
> glossary.

I can find no straightforward response. But try these.
Writers say:
<http://www.writersblock.ca/spring99/a-origin.htm>

"High noon has long been associated with a crisis or confrontation. The
classic western film of that name is not the origin, however. The term
has been used this way in English literature since the 14th century."

I have found online references to "high noon" referring specifically to
Midsummer's Day or St John's Day (24th June) when the sun is apparently
at the highest point for some days. (Druids, Masons).

The dictionary also says "high" has come to mean important as in "high priest".

Noon itself derives originally from "nine" or the ninth hour after
sunrise (probaby 3pm :-) and not when it is apparently highest in the sky.

Well...   you asked, Mac!

Maria Brandl
Mallacoota

37° 32' 60S