"A craftsman is as only as good as his tools." I learned this on a recent
holiday when I found myself on the other side of the world with no tools to
help me design a sundial. The wall over the swimming pool at our exchange
home on the Gold Coast of Australia seemed to me to be the ideal spot for a
vertical declining sundial. The location is S 28, E 153.4 and the north
facing wall declines 21 W. I had brought with me none of my usual library of
reference books, computer programs, not even trig tables or a scientific
calculator. The computer that I  used for email did not allow the
installation of executable programs so I could not download the "Dialists
Companion", "Zonwvlak 2000" or "Shadows" What could I do? What would a
novice do to design their first sundial?

I decided to use this as a opportunity to relearn the fundamentals of
gnonomics and to study the path of sun and shadows in this new environment,
a sub tropical location in the southern hemisphere where the sun is high in
the sky and seems to go backwards. At the local library I found "Sundials
Australia" which covered the design principles and had the formulae for
substyle height, substyle distance, difference in longitude and hour lines.
This allowed me to write a little spreadsheet in MS Works and calculate the
gnomon and hour lines for the dial. A paper mock up pasted on the wall
proved the design was correct.

But what about the utility of this dial? When would it be in the sun? At
this time of year this dial was in sunlight from dawn to dusk, but what
about December when the sun is almost directly overhead? I added azimuth
calculations to the spreadsheet and used this to roughly determine when
sunlight came onto dial. The long shadows when the sun came onto the
declining dial reminded me of sunrise shadows. Then it dawned on me. Every
vertical declining dial is equivalent to a horizontal dial somewhere else in
the world. The sun came onto the vertical declining dial at sunrise for the
equivalent horizontal dial. The sun shone on the dial when the Double
Daylight criteria was met: Daylight at the location and daylight at the
equivalent horizontal location. Sunrise and set times are easy to calculate
and add to the spreadsheet using the tee shirt equation Cos t = - Tan (Dec)
x Tan (Lat). For the equivalent horizontal dial, the latitude is the
substyle difference. The difference of latitude is the time offset is which
has to be added to bring the equivalent horizontal time to the time at the
location of the VD dial. The attached plot "NewDawn.pdf" shows sunrise and
set times against solar declination, or Double Daylight when the sun shines
on this vertical declining dial. The red lines are sunrise and set for the
equivalent horizontal dial, the black lines rise and set for the location
and the blue lines the hours of sunlight on the dial by the Double Daylight
criteria.

I now know that this dial will work well through the year. Even for the
limiting case the sun is on the dial by noon and remains on the dial most of
the afternoon, prime time for the use of the pool. This Double Daylight
sketch shows very well when sun shines on the dial.

When I got home and checked my tool kit, I found, as usual, the experts were
well ahead of me on this Double Daylight concept. Fred Sawyer described the
technique with complete math in early Compendium articles(1-4 and 2-1). Fer
de Vries produced a very similar but better drawing of  double daylight.
This is now included in his Zonwvlak program. Click on the black/white
button on his menu to call up the subroutine that calculates and plots
daylight at the dial location and the equivalent horizontal dial.

This holiday without tools got me out of a rut and caused me to think about
the principles of sundial design. It is also great to see that the tool have
been made available for all of us to use. Thanks Fred and Fer for providing
the information and software. It is a feature that I had not seen and
appreciated before.

Roger Bailey
Walking Shadow Designs
Back at N 51 W 115

Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:NewDawn.pdf (PDF /CARO) (00048D56)