Message text written by INTERNET:sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de

>Can you give me an easier explanation in plain language?"<

Others will have a better explanation I am sure but my simple
(non-technical) one is this:

The motion of the planets around the sun whilst perhaps seeming simple is
actually very complex when looked at accurately.  Even the sun is not
stationary - it moves around its barycentre as a result of the effects of
the (larger) planets.

The effects that make a planetary body's motion differ from what we might
simplistically expect can sometimes be very significant.  The moon's orbit
is one such.  It is effectively a three body problem.   These are renowned
for their erratic nature.  Remember the exeutive toy of a small steel ball
suspended above a base on a string and moving between magnets in the base?
It takes over a hundred mathematical terms to be able accurately predict
the moon's motion.

A lesser  example is the Equation of Time (the difference between the
actual sun and the movement of a 'mean' hypothetical sun).  This arises
from the accumulation of very many small daily effects (primarily caused by
the earth's tilt) over the year.

These differences from the 'simply expected figure' are present in almost
all measurements  relating to the solar system and we should expect them
rather than be surprised about them.

As well as the ones you mention one also sees longer summers in the
Northern hemisphere than the Southern.  Some of the effects we see are of
course made very much worse by the fact that with our calendar we do not
keep track of the actual position of the sun but we make (leap year)
corrections, or not,  only every 4 years, 100 years and 400 years.  This
means that we can easily be out by a day or so for the onset of any one
expected Solar System occurrence.

We should really be surprised that simplistic formulae give the accuracy
they do, rather than the other way round.

Does this help?

Patrick

E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Patrick_Powers/
Lat:     N  51d. 49m. 09s:  Long: W 00d. 21m. 53s