I agree with Thibaud: these dials show local solar time. The day when I was there it was a stifling sunny day in Amsterdam and I can't remember very well if there was any difference between both dials (do you remember Poe's verse "Our memories, they were treacherous and sere"?). Anyway, I'll be going to Rotterdam in mid August, so if I happen to visit Amsterdam and the day is sunny (which is not very common there),
I'll try to take pictures of both dials and then we could discuss it.

Best regards,

Anselmo Perez Serrada

Thibaud Taudin-Chabot wrote:

This sundial is indicating local solar time. Therefore you have to take into account 1 hour for the summertime and about 45 minutes for the combination of length correction to the 15° meridian and the equation of time.
It is made 1722, so Greenwich etc. was not yet known.
Did you also see the smaller sundial that is mounted about 20 meters lower?
Thibaud Chabot

Thibaud Taudin-Chabot
52° 18' 19.85" North, 04° 51' 09.45" East, alt. -3.45 m
home email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]