I see others have recommended what I do.  For a beginning dialist as yourself, Albert Waugh's book that Don recommended below I find to be by far the best, easiest to understand, and helpful with dial comprehension, layout, and construction.  Waugh's book I find lays down a solid sundial understanding that will allow you to appreciate texts covering less mainstream dials and finer details of dialing.

Best Wishes & Good Luck,

Thad Weakley  42.2N  83.8W (Ann Arbor, Michigan)

 "Donald L. Snyder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Colleen,
You have probably received these recommendations already, but in case
not........ The following two books have useful information for designing
a vertical dial:

1. Albert E. Waugh, Sundials: Their Theory and Construction
Dover Publications, 1973

2. Rene R. J. Rohr, Sundials: History, Theory, and Practice
Dover Publications, 1970

I find the first one to be the simpler, more straightforward of the two.

Don Snyder, St. Louis