I believe the Merchant Adventurers' Hall sundial has a brass or bronze
gnomon like a > which is fixed to a ring of the same metal surrounding
the roundel in the dial on the outside. The gnomon root or dial origin
is some way above the roundel and the actual gnomon. I think I can
provide a clearer outside picture of that dial (and will send it to John
off-list). Almost none of the old dials have the gnomon in situ. Feel
free to use my wording, John.

Re refraction: if someone painted the glass not in reverse it would need
to be inside, though I don't know what is customary. Given that dials
can be quite small I think even 3 mm or 1/8" could have a noticeable
effect.

It would seem simpler, if the Japanese protective cover can be as much
as 10" away, to put it outside the whole glass/gnomon assembly, assuming
the gnomon can be arranged to project less than that. As long as the
cover has parallel faces it would make no difference to the angle of the
sun's light. It would reduce the amount of sunlight transmitted at low
incident angles - but then perhaps any frame holding the cover will
interfere anyway. To have the cover intersecting the gnomon would
produce a complication - and why not use it to protect the gnomon as
well as the glass?

Regards
Andrew James