Folks,

re "draughtsman": my father became a DRAFTSMAN when he finished his
apprenticeship as a fitter and machinists in the late 1930s. Because he was
classified as "essential manpower" (working in the drawing office on tanks
etc.) he was unable to enlist in the Australian armed forces in WW2. Because
of the pressure of work, the company was forced to hire additional staff for
the drawing office. Many were women, and I am fairly sure that they were
known as "female draftsmen".

I realise that the discussion has been a tad tongue in cheek, but before the
days of PC-talk (and I don't mean the Bill Gates variety), "man" was
universal. I think that we are better off today, because one of the glaring
signs of oppression is language. And if you want to end oppression, then you
have to amend culture, and this necessarily involves language.

In my own school-days, Australian history was strictly Anglo-centric, and
then totally male-centric. We learnt all about the brave English explorers
heading off into the wilderness, etc. All chaps of course. As they weren't
Australian at that time, they couldn't be blokes. And in the inevitable
conflicts between the settlers and the Aborigines (in today's parlance:
Indigenous Australians, Traditional Owners), the blacks were ALWAYS
described as "murdering blacks". It took me a long time to realise that many
of the attacks were provoked, and that the white retaliation was extremely
savage. But that's another story, and one with very entrenched and
vituperative opinions on all sides in Australia at the moment.

BTW: The movie from the 1980s (I think) "The draftsman's contract" is worth
looking for at the video / DVD store. From memory it is set in 18th century
France, involves a man who has to draw a country house and his relationship
with the owner's wife. A rather wonderful film with some very good actors,
and some very well-done seductions.

Cheers, John

[EMAIL PROTECTED]