Let me clarify my terminology.

I used "directional" as a category because it is the traditional name for this group and the one used by historians and curators. Frankly, like most of you, I prefer "hour angle." So let's use that for the discussion. I don't think RA is appropriate here, since the sun's RA is very specific for each day of the year.

When I refer to altitude dials or azimuth dials, I am *not* saying that the only thing the dial shows is altitude or azimuth. Any of these projections can be calibrated to give many kinds of information. What I am referring to by the labels is the principal thing that is used to layout the shadow and find the time. Hour-angle sundials all project the sun's hour angle onto some surface, whether the equatorial plane, a horizontal, vertical, or what have you. An altitude dial is calibrated by means of the suns altitude, once the user points it towards the sun at whatever azimuth it happens to be at that moment. The sun's height is the critical thing. In an azimuth dial, the sun's azimuth is the primary focus.

Now, a pin-gnomon dial, or any other nodus suspended/supported above a surface, casts its shadow in accordance with the sun's altitude and azimuth. It seems to me that the azimuth is giving the hour points along "radial" lines (not originating at foot of gnomon), with the position on the line being determined by the sun's declination/altitude at that time of year. However, I would like confirmation of this line of thinking.