Hi Mike:

The tricky part of my question is figuring out the total number of hours of
sunlight a particular sundial face receives in a year.

You said:

> As for latitude, isn't it true that everywhere on earth gets an average of
> 12 hours of daylight over a year?

 No that's NOT true! What does "everywhere" mean? If "everywhere" includes
the the dial face of a north wall dial, then it's not true.  If you mean the
"flat" saurfacew of the earth, then you are correct.

To answer the question You must consider the type of sundial you are talking
about and it's orientation.

I think my question is more diffucult to answer than you think.