was used as a gnomen or pointer for a colossal sundial on the Campus
Martius and now is in the Piazza di Montecitorio.
"

On Augustus' obelisk, see the Platner article; in annotating which (a bit over the top! but why not?), I got some help from some of our own:

<http://www.ukans.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Gazetteer/Places/Europe/Italy/Lazio/Roma/Rome/.Texts/PLATOP*/Obeliscus_Augusti.html>

The article does not mention that it was also arranged so that the shadow of the top of the obelisk fell on the Ara Pacis on Augustus' birthday: the Ara Pacis was his big monument in town, a monument to how wonderful he was and made everything so peaceful for everyone (by murdering thousands of people). For a time there were pages online about that aspect of the Horologium-Ara Pacis complex, but I think they've vanished now.
--

Bill Thayer
http://www.ukans.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/home.html