Hi John,

Yes, I know and this is why a suncompass works.
It's one scale of date with a number of ellipses for different latitudes
around it.
With one remark.
At higher latitudes the length shrinks and final to zero at latitude 90.

And look at the formula:
y = a cos phi . tan decl
a cos phi is constant for a certain dial so y always is proportional to tan
decl.
But your remark is a very practical help to simplify the job.

Best wishes, Fer.

Fer J. de Vries

De Zonnewijzerkring
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]