Dear Shadow watchers (if not shadowy types!)

A little while ago, someone (can't remember who now) posted a report about
Martian sundials by Bill Nye. Several pages into it he refers to early
Greek sundials by the name Plekhnaton(s). I had never met this word before,
and wondered what it meant. By chance I work with a native Athenian, and
asked her, without disclosing what i knew about it, whether she could tell
me what it meant, at least broadly. She could not, which slightly puzzled
me. After all, a word like that is surely constructed from root words (much
as the words helicopter or pterosaur are; if you understand broadly what
the root words mean, you can work out that one means something like a
helical wing and the other wing-lizard, even if you have never encountered
the objects themselves). There seemed to be no sensible Greek roots to this
word though. She then asked a linguistic friend who also could not
understand it. She did suggest it might be Ancient Greek (which apparently
is vastly different from modern Greek), but I maintain that if so, Bill Nye
would not be using it as no-one would understand it, AND it still must
originate from somewhere. This word is clearly not plucked (?plekhed) out
of thin air!

So I am now intrigued as to where this word came from and what exactly it
means. It isn't easy to invent a whole new technical word (which appears to
have roots anyway) from scratch (except perhaps acronyms and street slang),
so just what is its origin? Does anyone know? Has anyone met the word
before (and I hope I don't get hundreds of replies saying what a common
word it is, and how I can find it in any dictionary etc....)

Peter Tandy