Message text written by INTERNET:sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de
>I'm helping to restore a Richard Melville (worked 1832-1871) slate dial
with multiple gnomons.  The gnomons are held in with 2BA brass screws using
square nuts.  The gnomons themselves are nominally 1/4 inch thick
Can anyone tell me when the BA (British Association) screwthread standard
started?  I think it points to the gnomons being (old) replacements.<

John if you go to

http://www.bhi.co.uk/hints/bathrd.htm

There's a history which starts:

"Way back in the 1890's, the British Association for Advancement of Science
(BA) realised there were no English screw threads standards for small
electrical and scientific equipment, so they proposed the BA system loosely
based on the Thury threads already in use in Europe (hence the metric
sizes). They quickly caught on and rapidly became the standard in the UK.
They are good news - thread angle of 47-1/2 degrees (good for holding in
thin work like clock wheels); rounded tips and crests (less power needed to
cut, less risk of tearing threads, less wear on the tools); enormous range
of sizes (0 - 26BA)."

I think you are right - the slate Melville dials I have seen all have their
gnomons set in lead.  Though it's possible the centre (main) ones might
have some further support underneath.

Patrick