Because the subject was mentioned I realised I have still a question about
orientation points to which I never found an acceptable answer. Perhaps you
or somebody else on the list know the right answer.
In the old times like Stonehenge it was easy to find the midwinter and
midsummer spots of sunrise and sunset, just look and make a mark.
But how did they find the spots of sunrise and sunset at the equinox?
Halving the distance between summer and winter is rather rough and would
only work with a completely horizontal horizon, no hills etc.
Measuring day/night length was stil not possible as far as I know.
Measuring the heigth of the sun (or shadow length) at noon was to far ahead
in the knowledge I guess (an other way of halving between summer and winter).
Did they realise that the equinox was special and in what way?
Thibaud Chabot
At 18:37 13-12-2004, Roger Bailey wrote:
Bonjour François,
I gave a similar presentation at the NASS Conference in Banff August 2002
entitled "Shadow vs. Horizon Archaeoastronomy". In this presentation I
develop the idea that civilization started with seasonal markers, the
astronomical alignments of monuments. I discuss historical ages in
astronomy, horizon archaeoastronomy, winter solstice, equinox phenomenon,
heliacal rising and Medicine Wheels.
I would be happy to send you and others the 31 slides as a 528 kb pdf or
4.23 MB PowerPoint ppt file. The files are large because of the pictures and
a simple animation of the Kukulcan equinox sunset shadow phenomenon.
Your request comes at a good time, as the Winter Solstice approaches.
Regards,
Roger Bailey
Walking Shadow Designs
N 48.6, W 123.4
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of f.pineau2
Sent: December 12, 2004 12:14 PM
To: SUNDIAL LIST
Subject: alignment
Hello all
I am preparing a talk about astronomical alignment in all kind of monuments.
So I would grateful to receive links to website about this toppic.
For example:
Stonehenge, Carnac and others megaliths alignments
Egyptian Pyramids and alignments with stars
Inca, Aztec, Mayas monuments orientation
churches and cathedrals orientation
Indoor meridian in church
memorial monuments with special orientation or enlightned by sun on special
time.
and all kind ...
Thank you by advance
-----------------------------------------------------------------
François PINEAU
37000 TOURS
FRANCE
47° 23' 24" N , 0° 41' 19" E
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cadrans-solaires/
----------------------------------------------------------------
-
-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Th. Taudin Chabot, home email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-