Message text written by INTERNET:sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de
>I noticed that there are several scratch dials in the UK and Ireland, but
there are hardly any on the continent.
When I mentioned this to a historian he right away said: "but there was
never anyone of the Benedictine order in the UK or Ireland, so that sounds
logic".Is there an explanation for this different<

It's true that a lot of people think there are not many such dials on the
continent. However when you start to keep records you find that there are
actually quite a lot in France and even a few in the Channel Islands. Also
their presence in Britain is very much restricted to the southern half of
the country.  Very few in Northern England and almost none in Scotland.  I
don't know about any Benedictine connexion - it might be worth following
up.

Dom Horne (in his book 1929) gave his view that the scratch dials in
Britain and Ireland 'spread' there from Normandy. They certainly seem to be
concentrated on Norman Churches here.

Patrick