Hi Bill,

With all due respect I think that your attitude is very short sighted.  There
are many valuable and valid reasons why people may wish to capture websites,
without wishing to 'steal' intellectual property which is what you seem to be
inferring.

As a school teacher teaching 13 - 18 year olds there are problems we encounter
with internet based study all the time.

Apart from dubious chatrooms and their inherent dangers, the chances of
pornography and worse getting through the filters and firewalls (We belong to
an educational Broadband service with plenty of safeguards but still unsavoury
stuff gets through), one of the major problems when studying using the
internet is non-focussed surfing by the students.  Youngsters love to wander
off course in search of interesting tidbits (haven't we all been sidetracked
from time to time!) and whole lessons can be wasted.

One of the ways of overcoming this in SOME circumstances is to download pre
chosen sites onto a local server and let students use these for focussed study.

Further, and perhaps more importantly, unlike books etc,  many sites on the
internet are by nature transient and it is sometimes useful to capture
valuable sites before they disappear.  I found this out to my cost years ago,
when I based a series of lessons on the content of some websites, some of
which disappeared before I began to teach the course and made a whole lot of
planning useless.

The Library of Congress (http://www.loc.gov/acq/devpol/webarchive.html) points
out that the average life of websites is some 44 days and they are attempting
to capture much valuable material before it disappears.  How can this be a
problem - imagine if the SGS were to disappear if John had a problem and noone
was able to maintain the site.  Should we shrug our shoulders and say 'tough'
or hope that someone had archived it for future generations.

As I said there are many reasons for wanting to capture/archive websites and
by blocking the process we may be losing valuable material for future
generations, imagine if all the books from previous generations had bee lost
by not putting them into libraries, that is unthinkable as is losing much of
the internet content.

Terry Dixon

Quoting Bill Thayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Looking at the indiscriminate capturing of websites from the server's
> standpoint, please be sure (a) you really need to do it; (b) you have
> correct settings.........

............A total waste of resources; equal waste from the standpoint of the

This mail sent through http://webmail.zoom.co.uk