Subject: MarsDial - Two Worlds One Sun
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 08:10:59 -0800
From: Woody Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de
Greetings:
The first extraterrestrial sundial now sits on a planet about
150 million km away. When it was fabricated here at the U. of
Washington in 1999, I held it in the sunlight falling on our planet,
and now it's being bathed by light from the same Sun, but at a
distance about 50% farther, and therefore an intensity about ~25% as
much. (Note also that the angular size of the Sun is ~20' as seen
from Mars, which makes the penumbrae of all shadows smaller, i.e.,
sharper-edged.)
We're still working out some of the bugs in the software to
accurately project a grid of hour lines and date lines on to the
image of the MarsDial as taken by the main camera on the mission
(Pancam). For instance, if you look at the posted images, the 12-hr
line does not appear to pass through the center of the base of the
gnomon, which it should for a level surface. The Rover was, however,
tilted by a few degrees while sitting on the lander (and of course
just yesterday it moved on to the Martian soil - hurrah!), in which
case the 12-hr line does *not* pass through the center of the base.
Our software does take care of any arbitrary tilt, but I'm still not
100% confident we've got the superposition right. Note also that
there are really two main cameras (for stereo imaging), and for some
reason one camera is giving different results than the other! Stay
tuned.

Cheers, Woody Sullivan
Here are some URL's of interest:

http://redrovergoestomars.org/marsdial/ - home page for MarsDial
project, with basic explanations (this text is now being improved and
expanded)

http://redrovergoestomars.org/marsdial/images.html - actual images
from Mars of the MarsDial with hourlines and datelines

http://www.planetary.org/mars/tpr_marsdial.html - detailed article
about the MarsDial and its development; originally published in "The
Planetary Report" (serious gnomonicists should start with this
article)

http://planetary.org/news/2004/mars-dial.html - press release on
MarsDial (8 Jan. 2004)

http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/abstracts/1997/Allison.html = 1997
technical article (PDF) by M. Allison; for those who want **all** the
details and equations for time on Mars
Prof. Woodruff T. Sullivan, III Center for Astrobiology & Early Evolution
Dept. of Astronomy Box 351580
Univ. of Washington tel. 206-543-7773
Seattle, WA 98195 USA fax 206-685-0403
-

Dave Bell wrote:
One significant problem we have in reverse engineering many of these dials
is that we cannot be sure the original photo was taken straight-on, normal
to the dial face. Many of the photos submitted to John have been shot from
the ground or other accessible vantage point. In orthogonlizing the
images, errors are introduced, because the gnomon and dial face are not in
the same plane. I don't think these can easily be corrected.