It seems that as Roger said it would make the base slanted at a cockeyed angle.  And intuitively I'm not sure the hour lines would stay in the proper alignment with the shadow planes.  The west side would start to rise and it seems that the shadow planes of each hour would cut through the face/base plate at a different angle for where ever you stop rotation.

I'm thinking of figures two and three on this website:

http://home.iae.nl/users/ferdv/shadow1.htm

My thought is the only dials which can be adjusted in this way are dials whose gnomon points directly at the celestial north pole AND whose base/face plate is perpendicular to all shadow planes.  Only then will rotation allow the hour lines on the face to keep the proper angles and alignment throughout rotation.  The only dials I can think of that fit this description are equatorial dials, but I am newer to this than most people on this list.

Any corrections or feedback?

Albert Franco
35N  95W

Roger Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello Ed,

One caution on this rotation technique. As Edley states you rotate the
entire dial around the polar axis. After rotation the horizontal dial plate
will no longer be horizontal. This is the problem with these tilt or
rotation corrections. The resulting dial may show civil time but it looks
odd.

Roger Bailey
Walking Shadow Designs
N 48.6 W 123.4