From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Chris Lusby Taylor
Sent: January 30, 2004 1:49 AM
To: sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de
Subject: Re: Inferior Polar Dial

Ah, so that's what the enquiry was about!
In the picture in the catalogue, which is the only one I've seen of this dial, this inferior polar dial isn't visible.
But I have to agree that 4,6,8 sounds unlikely.

How much do we know about Kratzer's ability to make accurate dials? The direct west-facing dial visible in the picture seems to be for 45 degrees, not 52 degrees latitude. And what do you make of the gnomon of the reclining south-facing dial?

When studying the Kratzer-like polyhedral dial in Holbein's Ambassadors I found a surprisingly simple equation that allows you to convert angles and dimensions in a photograph or perspective painting into the original object's dimensions. I'll email it to anyone interested. It allowed me to calculate, for instance, that the apparently square dial on the end of the dial is actually very inaccurate. Which could have been Holbein's error in painting it, not Kratzer's.

Anyway, we'll be in Oxford in a couple of months so I'm looking forward to the chance to see this dial for myself.

Best wishes
Chris Lusby Taylor
51.4N, 1.3W (so only about 25 miles from Oxford. Lucky me)