Title: Re: Historical determination of the astronomical unit (aga
Dr. Carlson,

Aristarchus of Samos (?310-230BC) used the shadow line of the moon to estimate the distance to the sun. According to http://www-astronomy.mps.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast161/Unit3/greek.html, he "Showed geometrically that the Sun was at least 20x further than the Moon. Really 400x further: sound method, poor data."

This is an inaccurate summary of Aristarchus. (I would not  known that, but I happen to have Aristarchus' complete work on my desk, Greek with a facing English translation, forming an appendix to
   Aristarchus of Samos, the Ancient Copernicus
   by Sir Thomas Heath
   Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1913
   Dover reprint 1981
   ISBN 0-486-24188-2
   LC Catalog Card Number: 81-66916)

Anyway, Hipparchus opens his book with a paragraph of 6 axioms, then immediately follows them with (tr. Heath), p353:

We are now in a position to prove the following propositions:-
1. The distance of the sun from the earth is greater than eighteen times, but less than twenty times, the distance of the moon (from the earth); this follows from the hypothesis of  halved moon.

The halved moon refers to axiom 4:
"That, when the moon appears to us halved, its distance from the sun is then less than a quadrant by one-thirtieth of a quadrant." (i.e., 87 degrees).

Aristarchus' proof of the 18 < D < 20 is in "Proposition 7", and runs about 3pp of text, plus of course 3pp of translation. It's out of copyright, e-mail me if you want me to scan them for you.
--

Bill Thayer
http://tinyurl.com/iquh