I was recently shown photographs of this Piazza and the obelisk by
friends who stayed nearby and asked about its present functioning as a
sundial. (I understand it was originally set up nearby as a sundial
gnomon in Roman times.)

The markings on the pavement seemed to me to be date related with
perhaps a local time of transit taking account of EoT. I was told there
is a slit in the globe which surmounts the obelisk so presumably a ray
of light falls on the pavement with what I guess is a meridian line. I
am sure some members of the list must have detailed knowledge of this;
can anyone give more information please?

Regards
Andrew James

N 51 04
W 01 18

This correspondence is confidential and is solely for the intended
recipient(s).
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy,
distribute or retain this message or any part of it.
If you are not the intended recipient please delete this correspondence from
your system and notify the sender immediately.
This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl