Dear John,

> ... by now, you will have received a copy of the scanned and
> OCRed paper which was the first publication of this equation.

That's fascinating.  Many thanks.  It's always good to see the
original paper and this seems not to be acknowledged in the
BSS Glossary under `Sources'.

I didn't copy the expansion for the Equation of Time but I note
that the BSS Glossary has reversed the sign used by Spencer.  I
take the Spencer view myself.

> I wonder what Spencer would think if he knew that his research
> on air-conditioning of buildings would be helping diallists
> 30 years later?

It is amazing that the Equation of Time can have any relevance
to air-conditioning!  Are Australian air-conditioning units
fitted with time-clocks that come on up to a quarter of an
hour early or late depending on E?  Do the guys who install
the plant take longitude offset into account too?

Hey, you could even have your air-conditioning plant controlled
by a sundial on the roof.  Perhaps there is a new market for our
trade waiting to be exploited!

Frank