From: "John Carmichael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Alexei Pace" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Sundial List" <sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de>
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2004 8:57 PM
Subject: Re: PowerPoint Setup

Hello Alexi and everybody else who kindly wrote back:

Apparently, there are many people who have had this problem with Powerpoint
and who would also like to be able to read their notes on their computer
screens while seeing only the slides on the projector screen.  All of you,
except for Alexi said that it could not be done easily.

I was encouraged when you told me the solution to my problem Alexi, but I
just tried it (right clicking on slide while in Slide Mode and clicking on
Speaker Notes), but it did not work.  The notes still appear on the
projection screen.

So, frustrated, I went to the Microsoft PowerPoint FAQ webpage and this is
what they say.  There is a solution but it sounds horribly complicated and
above level of expertise and not worth the effort and expense, so I guess
I'll just print out 65 pages of paper prints, one for each slide. Uggh!

Here's what The Microsoft FAQ says:

How can I display slides on a PC connected to a projector but still view my
notes (and control the slide show)?

Paul Iordanides has kindly given us permission to post his essay on the
subject.

To do this in PowerPoint, your system must support dual monitors.

Windows 98, Windows Me and Windows 2000 and Windows Xp all support Dual
monitors.

Win 98 supports a max of 9, and I have personally set up 8 monitors in
Windows 2000 and Xp

Since there seems to be a lot of confusion about dual monitors, let me
define what dual monitors means:

Dual Monitors, Dual Displays, Multi-Monitor -- all of these terms refer to
HARDWARE configurations.

For HARDWARE dual monitor support, your computer must be equipped with two
or more video boards OR it must have a single multi-port video board.

If you have a laptop, you must either have a chipset that supports Dual
monitors or you must use an external PCMCIA video board. Some laptop brands
that have models with the dual monitor chipset are IBM, Toshiba, Dell. I'm
sure there are others.

One of the most popular "dual monitor" chipsets is the ATI Rage mobility,
but again, there are others.

Most laptops have an external 15 pin video connector, but this does not
indicate that you have dual monitor support.
Simply put: Check your manual or the company support website to see if your
laptop supports Dual Monitors.

On my website I recommend the Appian traveler video board that you can use
for dual monitor support with laptops.

Multi-Show Software available at iosysoft.com allows up to 3 simultaneous
shows at once if you have a four port Video board. The AppianX boards are
really nice.

Paul Iordanides
http://www.iosysoft.com
PPCwin: A Dual Display PowerPoint Controller

Note: your SOFTWARE must also support dual monitors. PowerPoint 2000 and up
allows you to choose which HARDWARE monitor you want to display the slide
show on (and which to display your notes, etc. on)

You need to set this up each time you run the show, because PowerPoint
doesn't save the information. There's a hotfix available from Microsoft that
will help with this.

John L. Carmichael Jr.
925 E. Foothills Dr.
Tucson Arizona, 85718 USA