Message text written by "Andrew James"
>The increased temperature on one of a number of areas could cause a
scent to evaporate most strongly there and be most detectible e.g. at
one of a number of openings. <

That's an interesting idea too.  A long shot this one though..<gg> but,
courtesy of Andrew's excellent Index to the BSS Bulletin, I have been able
to find again (see BSS Bulletin Oct 91(3) p4) mention of a Nineteenth
Century pastime of constructing (visual) sundials made up from thirteen
flower varieties that (allegedly!) open at different times of the day from
6am to 6pm..  I remember when I first saw this article being amazed that
such an effect allowed time to be assessed to about an hour - and sometimes
apparently even without direct sunlight too.

Perhaps then there might be a range of flowers whose strength of scent
might vary by time too...  Hmmm, I'm probably clutching at straws here -
either that or the plants that do have such an effect will all turn out to
be from the wild garlic family!!

Patrick