As a follow on from the Calendar questions from Frank Evans a few weeks ago, there's something that's been niggling me for a while.
Someone on the list is bound to know the answer.

46 BC is widely reported to have had 2 extra months, and to have been 445 days long, to make things ready for the introduction of the new Julian calendar.
But it doesn't say why.
I have a thought about it, and I wonder if this is the reason.

The pre-Julian Roman calendar was lunar with an extra month being added as necessary to keep it in line with the solar year.
Each month started at a new moon - I guess they thought of it as a "life", starting with nothing, growing to full maturity, then going back to nothing again.
It would seem logical then, for the new solar calendar to start at the shortest day - the year would then work on a similar principle.
So why didn't it?
Perhaps someone, (the priests, the traditionalists, even Julius himself?) said "We must start off the new calendar on a new moon - it's been like that for about 700 years, we can't break away from tradition completely".
Now, if I set up my "moonstick", I see that 1st January 45 BC WAS a new moon, so it does seem to hang together.

Anyone know the answer?

Mike Shaw

53.37 North
03.02 West