Hello All:

I've just completed assembly of the center panel of The Gecko Stained Glass Sundial.  I think it is one of the best sundials I've ever made.  It certainly is the most colorful! And I'm very proud of it.

It is one of only four known American stained glass sundials and is quite large (58" x 19.5" or 1473 x 495mm).  It has 153 pieces of glass and about 30 feet of lead and zinc came.  There are eleven hand painted glass pieces that were painted by master glass painter, Wil Biggers using traditional vitreous paints and stains.  Some of these pieces required 7 separate kiln firings as each layer of paint was applied!  Painting took two months.  The design work took me almost a year and actual glass assembly took three weeks.

I still have to do one of the side panels, build the bay window, and install the panels, so it will be several months until it is finally permanently installed.

You can see a photo of the completed center dial panel on the Image Archive Page/ Stained Glass Sundials 21st century/Dial 79 on the Stained Glass Sundial website at http://advanceassociates.com/Sundials/Stained_Glass.  Click on the Dial 79 text sublink that says:   Photo of completed Center Panel: here

Hope you Like it!

John

John L. Carmichael Jr.
Sundial sculptures