Theoretically it's correct that the projection of a circular disc on to a flat surface parallel to the disc will be a circle. Unfortunately the sun's apparent size results in the disc becoming very blurred when you get a couple of hours off of local noon.

Luckily when we were building the Swensen Sundial http://www.uwrf.edu/sundial/ I decided to test several gnomon designs and found the circular disc to be useless. We decided on the double gnomon.

You are right Bill.   That's a great idea!   I had never thought about it,
but it's true.  A flat circular disk that permanently mounted parallel to
the dial face will always cast a circular shadow on the face.  It's such a
simple concept, I wonder why nobody's ever mentioned this before.  Do you
know of any dials with this type of nodus? I don't.

Incidentally the Web-Cam on the Swensen Sundial will be shut down on July 17 due to the fact that the building in which the camera is housed is to be demolished. I will be trying to get something up as soon as possible but as I am now retired I don't have much influence.

--
Cheers,
        John