-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Frank Evans
Sent: August 8, 2004 5:38 AM
To: sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de
Subject: italian dial

Greetings fellow dialists,
Can anyone please help me to decipher this: I have been sent a picture,
by a friend, of an Italian presumed  dial on the wall of Sant' Agostino
church in San Gimignano, Tuscany. It has a horizontal gnomon which is a
simple shaft. Around it are drawn eight circles which are not concentric
but each touching the next circle outwards at one point, mostly
horizontally, alternatively left and right  but the inner circles
touching at 45 degrees to the horizontal. Additionally there are two
rather flat ellipses drawn obliquely round the centre point. What I take
to be cardinal points, the letters N, S, E and O are marked as well as
the intercardinals E, T and C (nothing for south-east).

My friend writes that the dial faces roughly south south east. There are
no hour marks. My picture is a close-up and I am unable to guess a
scale. I am totally baffled. Any suggestions?
Frank 55N 1W
--
Frank Evans
[EMAIL PROTECTED]