Greetings Frank and others

I think I have reported Maud Heath's dial near Kellaways, East
Tytherton, Wiltshire, to the Register and was not the first to do so. Is
it SRN 0401 - I haven't got any info to hand? It's not quite on a
bridge, for as far as I remember it is built (C17) on the usually dry
land beside the road - Maud Heath's causeway. She was a widow who in
1474 left a gift to build this dry route to market. See
http://www.yourguide.org.uk/chippenham/maud.html for example and
http://www.northwiltslink.co.uk/html/maud_heath_-_north_wiltshire.html
has a picture of the sundial.

The Wilton/Ross dial is on a bridge definitely known as Wilton Bridge
and I think is just in Wilton which is beside and the other side of the
river Wye below Ross. The dial was moved across the bridge at some time
in the 20th century so that now the other side of it is seen from the
road. (In the past there has been some confusion between this Wilton and
Wilton, Wiltshire, where there is a very worn polyhedral sundial in the
market place having strong similarities with that at Moccas Court.)
There is a picture at
http://www.wyevalley.fsworld.co.uk/wilton%20bridge.htm where it is also
said to be incorrectly set, but I can't vouch for that. Another picture
at http://www.wyenot.com/news/2005-01-18-3.htm may relate to its being
moved but again I'm not certain of its origin.

Andrew James