And here is a discussion of mean time as well as UTC:
<http://gauss.gge.unb.ca/GMT.UT.and.the.RGO.html>.
-- Richard Langley

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, Gordon Uber wrote:

> From "Explanatory Supplement to the Astronomical Almanac" by Seidelmann,
>pp. 74-6:
>
>"However, the sun's motion in right ascension [along the celestial equator]
>is not uniform because the Sun moves in the ecliptic rather than the
>equator, and the Sun's motion in the ecliptic is not uniform [due to
>elliptical orbit].
>
>Mean solar time was defined by an abstract fiducial point ... fictitious
>mean sun ... to move uniformly in the equatorial plane at a rate that is
>virtually equal to the mean rate of the true Sun's motion in the ecliptic.
>The difference between mean solar time and apparent solar time is called
>the equation of time."
>
>At least formerly, solar time was computed from observed sidereal [star]
>time. What is today called Greenwich Mean Time (civil time) in the UK is
>actually Coordinated Universal Time for the Greenwich time zone. It is kept
>by atomic clocks and modified by leap seconds as required by variations in
>the Earth's rotation.
>
>I am guessing that the observed noon (sun due south or at its highest
>altitude) defined 12:00 noon for apparent solar time at Greenwich.
>
>For those interested in this topic, this book has a sixty-page chapter on
>time, including its history.
>
> From "Astronomical Algorithms" by Jean Meeus, p. 379, "The mean solar time
>is the hour angle of the mean sun , and this is measured from mean noon.
>The civil time is the mean solar time increased by 12 hours, and thus is
>measured from mean midnight."
>
>Gordon
>

>At 11:42 6/10/05, Noam Kaplan wrote:
>>Does anyone know how mean time is set up?
>>
>>To clarify, I know that local mean time has 24 hours every day set for a
>>mean daily rotation for any particular location. I understand that
>>timezones are set up by the local mean time for the center of every 15
>>degrees of  longitude, i.e. 0, 15, 30, 45 etc.
>>
>>What I don't understand is how was it chosen when 12:00 AM/PM would be.
>>I used to think that mean time was set by the equinox that midday was
>>12:00 for the whole year. This is obviously incorrect as the equation of
>>time which shows how much local mean time is off from apparent solar time
>>is not 0 at 12 on the equinox.
>>
>>If anybody can explain to me what and how mean time was set up, I would
>>appreciate it.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Noam Kaplan
>>N 40.5833   W 74.1166
>>Staten Island
>

>-

 Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://www.unb.ca/GGE/
 Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142
 University of New Brunswick                   Fax:      +1 506 453-4943
 Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3
     Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/