Having read two recent books on the tumultuous history of Daylight Saving Time ("Seize the Daylight" and "Spring Forward"), I think that a one-hour difference between zone time and sun time may be too large, even if it will not occur in my lifetime. Of course, it may be considered to be plus or minus one-half hour.

Clock setting is already becoming increasingly automatic with radio-controlled and GPS clocks and time displays on mobile phones. Therefore I don't see a major problem for the typical person with respect to clock setting a millennium hence with either leap seconds or leap hours for civil time. Either will be incorporated into the time distribution and display systems. Missing the equivalent of a favorite TV program or an hour of wages will be more contentious.

Gordon Uber
San Diego, California