From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of heiner thiessen
Sent: 13 July 2005 18:20
To: 'Sundial Mailing List'
Subject: Armillary Dial

After Roman dials with their vertical obelisk type gnomons,
when did sundials with gnomons in parallel to the planet's axis
first appear? I found an entry in the BSS Glossary  2000
for the introduction of an armillary dial in 1598 by Valentin Pini.
Would he have been the first one to have installed a 'modern' dial?
Is there a history of the development of the dial ?

Best wishes
Heiner Thiessen
51N    1W